Laboratory Solutions (i.e. not medical device)
PuraMatrix® is the first commercial synthetic extracellular matrix (ECM) scaffold based upon self-assembling peptides, enabling cells to be cultured in carefully controlled microenvironments for life science research, pharmaceutical drug discovery and bioproduction. PuraMatrix® enhances reliable cell assays that predict proper drug interactions and metabolism without unpredictable effects of biologics in common animal - or human - based matrices. In particular, PuraMatrix® has improved cell assays in which one or more types of cells form complex structures (such as spheroids, networks, synapses, vascularization).
Please note that PuraMatrix is not a medical device.
PuraMatrix® is a transparent, biocompatible, synthetic matrix that is used to create defined three-dimensional microenvironments for a variety of cell culture experiments. To achieve optimal cell growth and differentiation, it is necessary to determine the appropriate mixture of this material and bioactive molecules (e.g., growth factors, extracellular matrix [ECM] proteins, and/or other molecules). PuraMatrix® consists of standard amino acids (1% w/v) and 99% water. Under physiological conditions, the peptide component self-assembles into a 3-D hydrogel that exhibits a nanometer scale fibrous structure (Figure at the right). The hydrogel is readily formed in a culture dish, plate, or cell culture insert.
The resulting hydrogel has been shown to promote the differentiation of human-induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSCs)1, human embryonic stem cells (hESCs)2 , hepatocyte progenitor cells3, rat pheochromocytoma cells (PC12)4, and hippocampal neurons5. Studies have also demonstrated that PuraMatrix® supports the attachment of a variety of primary (e.g., neuronal, fibroblast, keratinocyte) and transformed (e.g., MG-63, SH-SY5Y, HEK293, NIH3T3) cell types 6. Other potential applications include stem cell proliferation, tumor cell migration and invasion, angiogenesis assays, and in vivo analyses of tissue regeneration.
PuraMatrix® is biocompatible* and free from animal-derived material or pathogens. For in vivo studies in animals, the soluble material can be injected and will subsequently form a 3D hydrogel upon contact with the physiological environment. Thus, PuraMatrix® can safely deliver cells together for regeneration and tissue engineering. Furthermore, PuraMatrix® can be formulated with various drugs and slowly release the drugs from the hydrogel matrix over time7.
*Biocompatability assessment based upon PuraStat data
- 1% solution (w/v) of purified synthetic peptide
- Packaged material exhibits pH = 3.0
- Quality Control:
- Tested and found negative for bacteria, fungi, and Mycoplasma
- Cell viability > 80% based on cytotoxicity analysis of NIH3T3 fibroblasts
- Identity confirmed using Mass Spectrometry
- Demonstration of fiber formation using a self-assembly assay
- PuraMatrix® promotes cell attachment, but does not activate RGD-dependent integrin signalling
- In the presence of salt-containing solution, the peptide component of PuraMatrix® self-assembles and forms a transparent 3D hydrogel
- Exhibits nanometer scale fibrous structure
- Biocompatible; devoid of animal-derived material and pathogens